- Develop content for Instagram and Facebook pages for the Gallery and Art department; write materials and articles for the website, email, and other social media.
- Help to work with local and broader media outlets to publicize current/upcoming exhibitions.
- Research and implement new ideas and strategies to reach new audiences.
- Assist with the exhibition design for the display of artwork in way that makes them accessible and engaging to the general public.
- Acquire and/or investigate artwork of interest to the gallery for current and/or upcoming exhibitions.
- Learn about the steps involved in the realization of an exhibition, as well as day to day tasks of working in a Gallery
- Be part of the Gallery’s approach to promote each exhibition as an opportunity for interdisciplinary learning.
- Plan, organize, interpret exhibitions and develop programming such as events and workshops.
- Develop activities/lesson plans in conjunction with professors for their students that can be used to supplement course learning outcomes.
- Design the publicity for exhibitions (short range and long range) such as Gallery Updates, posters, flyers, postcards, etc.
- Work closely with the Director to make virtual elements that complement the exhibition such as a catalogue.
- Develop and design education materials for a range of audiences like families, students K-12, university/college students, and adults.
Sara grace lane
Major: Studio Art
What are your future plans after graduation?
I hope to continue pursuing a career as a fine artist, focusing on impressionist landscape oil paintings. I would love to share my work through the creation of my own business as well as working with interior designers and galleries, specifically in coastal locations. In addition to creating my own collections of work, I am drawn to the idea of teaching adults in a retreat or workshop setting of my own creation as a form of therapy for those who would otherwise not have a creative outlet.
What interested you about the internship program?
I have always been drawn to art galleries due to their incredible way of displaying artists’ work along with their concept and idea in an immersive setting allowing viewers to fully absorb the work. As an artist who hopes to display my own work in galleries, I was interested in the behind-the-scenes knowledge of curating and sustaining a gallery. The organization and business teachings provided through this experience is a great addition to my studio art major which focuses more on the creation and communication of work. By learning these more technical and specific insights, I will be provided with a well-rounded education.
How do you feel this internship will prepare you in the future?
The ability to work closely with Meredith’s Gallery Director as well as the professional artists showing their art in the gallery creates a comprehensive and highly beneficial learning environment that will provide me with valuable knowledge for my own future career. I will gain confidence in my skills regarding the logistics of creating a gallery as well as how I can plan to create future collections of art by considering the flow and transition through the pieces with the intention of displaying them in galleries.